Why you should light up with Desert Steel
And we just love American born and bred companies. Agree?! Desert Steel products are lovingly handmade in Wichita, KS. The process starts with a milled sheet of galvanized steel and then it’s cut, bent, folded and welded together. The bold colors are not from paint but are finished with a patina, a chemical treatment that oxidizes the steel to give it a green color. So unlike paint, this color will not alter or fade over time. It also won’t rust or corrode. The whole process gives their sculptures and individual pieces a timeless feel that have that heirloom vibe.
- Torches are super special because they use real flames for illumination. These unique torches have a fuel reservoir centered in the middle of the flower making a natural looking casing for the wick. The wick soaks up the fuel and is lit creating a safe and controllable flame.
- Select a location for your torch giving it at least 6 feet of clearance on all sides. Consider objects that can catch on fire like trees, awnings, patio furniture, and kids toys. Safety first.
- Softer ground works better as these torches stick into the ground with stakes.
- Never move or handle a lit torch. Wait for the unit to cool before moving it. If a hot torch is moved, the searing wick could re-ignite the fuel as it is jostled around. Moving a tiki torch can result in the fuel spilling onto clothing, too. Not good!
- Do not fill the reservoir to the max. Over-filling increases the likelihood of spilling. Once the wick is submerged, the tiki torch will function just fine- extra filling will not result in increased performance.
- Store all fuel containers well away from the torches. Keep your fuel away from heat sources and high traffic areas where the container could be tipped over or crushed.
- Mount the torch securely into the ground at the proper depth. The torch should not wobble to the touch. Torches with free-standing bases should be placed on a hard, level surface and should not be used in extreme wind.
- If fuel is accidentally spilled onto the torch when refueling, wait until it evaporates before lighting, or else the entire torch could catch fire.
- Replace cracked or damaged components immediately. This includes the fuel reservoir, torch frame, torch pole, wick, and top cap.
- Durable, all-weather steel construction
- Snuffer/Lid included, stores underneath when lit
- Assembles in minutes and stakes directly into the garden
- Refillable torch canister included with x-long 10” wick
- Use citronella torch fuel or lamp oil (not included)
- Burns 4 to 6 hours
- Measures 14”W x 36”H
~As a side note, I’ve owned Desert Steel products for several years now. When it says “all-weather” it really means it. Tom and I have left our bird feeders outside all winter long and they still look brand new. This is incredible considering the weather we have in Buffalo, NY. One day it can be pouring rain, the next day sunny and 65 degrees and the following day…a huge snowstorm. You just never know what to expect!
-One pink cosmos garden torch from Desert Steel (ARV $59).
- To enter, like the Raise Your Garden Facebook page and share this post or sign up for our newsletter. For two entries, do both! Let us know that you have entered by telling us your favorite color. Do this by scrolling down to the bottom of this post and leaving a comment. Please tell us how many entries you have earned. Contest ends May 5th!
- You can earn one entry per day by commenting on any of our blog or Facebook posts.
- Official Giveaway Rules